By Bonnie Carter
Our Spring 2012 semester of ESL classes will begin February 14, 2012. We are seeking volunteer Co-Instructors and placement test assistance.
About the Coalition’s ESL program
This semester, three of our classes will be offered at night and one will be during the day. The levels we offer will depend upon the outcome of placement testing. The anticipated class levels and times are as follows:
• Basic (Literacy): 10:00-11:00 AM, Mondays and Wednesdays
• Beginner 1 (Low): 6:00-7:30 PM, Tuesdays and Thursdays
• Beginner 2 (High): 7:45-9:15 PM, Tuesdays and Thursdays
• Intermediate/Advanced: 7:45-9:15 PM, Tuesdays and Thursdays
Placement tests are given before the start of every semester to identify student’s English proficiency level. If you are available to assist with proctoring, grading, or interviewing, please respond with the dates you plan on attending. Tests will be offered on the following dates and times:
• January 17, 19, 24, and 26 from 5:45-7:30 PM
Volunteer Co-Instructor Requirements
• Co-Instructors -Must be available to attend every class 02/13/2012-05/24/2012 and graduation day 05/29/2012.
• Total weekly hours in and out of the classroom: 10
To volunteer as a Co-Instructor, you must attend our training/orientation session on January 28, 2012 from 9:00 am-12:00 PM. Please confirm your attendance to the training/orientation session by sending an email with a completed “Volunteer Information Sheet” to Sharon Cheng, ESL Coordinator.